For a team experience that lasts a lifetime, get your family involved in Optimist Football
Teams are formed right in your neighborhood, and led by well-trained, caring coaches.
For decades, teams and families fill the Optimist Fields on Saturdays in the fall. Camaraderie and game-day excitement fuel the atmosphere. Teh games and team practices build athletic skills-and also provide life lessons, friendships, and lasting memories.
Today's norms and guidelines are followed for safe, age-appropriate play.
Coaches you can count on
The coaches of Optimist Football care as much about your child and his youth sports experience as you do.
We craft practices and games so your child can:
- Watch their skills grow with each practice
- Be encouraged for their effort and progress
- Develop knowledge of the game and a love for competing
- Be in a setting that follows the latest guidelines for safety, with strict adherence and mandatory training and certification for coaches
- Enjoy the camaraderie of teammates
The game for everyone
Football is the most popular spectator sport in America. Optimist Football allows your child to learn the game under the guidance of our coaches – who now participate in the highest level of preparation and training in the program’s history:
• Modified tackling and blocking has dramatically improved safety, and is strictly enforced in practice and in games
• Game play has been adjusted for the most benefit according to your child’s age and weight, and teams are organized by neighborhood
• The variety of positions means there’s a spot for everyone – participation is the priority!
The Basics: Seasonal Schedule Milestones
- April 1st - Online registration opens
- May - Four dates for weigh-ins
- June - Late sign up (incurs late fee)
- August - Practices begin at schools / playgrounds
- September - Games are played Saturdays @ Optimist Fields
- October - Games and Playoffs
Ages: 8-12 years
Season: Early August through October
Games: Saturdays, 7 games, Optimist Youth Sports Complex; Hill Rd, Boise (may include some limited travel to Treasure Valley towns; may include include additional championship game)
Practices: In your neighborhood, 4 times/week (5 times in first 3 weeks)
Teams: Boise and surrounding towns
Cost: $125/season; jersey and helmet provided; other equipment available as package from area sporting goods stores
• All coaches are certified in the USA Football Heads Up Coaching techniques
• Head Coaches are required to attend annual training by high school staff
• OYF Player Safety Coaches monitor and attend team practices
We teach your child:
to be less selfish | to be a team player | that hard work does pay off | dedication | commitment | how to balance time between academics and extracurricular activities | to have respect for authority | discipline | how to deal with defeat |
the joy they experience when they win | gets them away from electronics | keeps them off the streets | long-lasting friendships | health benefits from being physically active | builds confidence, character, self-esteem and social skills
Siblings and friends: join Cheer! Cheer squad is a great opportunity for a sibling of a player, or a friend or neighbor, to be involved with Optimist. Each team can have a squad, and there is guidance and an early-season camp for participants. Cheer squad members practice at the same time and location as the football team, making it easy on families. Cheer squads add to the game-day spirit and perform at halftime. Open to ages 4-12 years.